- To be a collaborative and supportive network of community based learning practitioners
- To focus on learning supported by colleges outwith main campuses, such as community centres, youth services and prisons, and including partnerships which bring vulnerable learners into main campuses
- To work with Community Learning and Development partners as appropriate
- To disseminate examples of practice and relevant information among members through CDN services including the Internet and an email distribution list; and an annual conference
- To encourage members to share information including availability of funding to provide a collective voice for community learning interests supported by colleges.